Monday, September 22, 2008

A weekend to relax






This past weekend was pretty low-key. An easy weekend was needed since I have been working in and stressing about school so much lately. Things at school are great, but I am still trying to establish some routine with the kids and myself.

Wednesday night after school I went to an official Iftar to break my non-existant fast. My friend, my colleague, and the teacher I always run to when I need help or an activity, Carla, was putting on a benefit dinner for the Lebanese American University of Beirut. All the money was going toward scholarships, so I felt like I was doing good; all that --Carla and I after the dinner at the amassador's

was missing was my blue tuxedo and an orange counterpart to hit swords (canes) with. The dinner was very fancy and delicious! It was obviously Lebanese food. Then, since we can't go out for drinks during Ramadan, after the dinner we went to Courtney's to have a "Bombs over Yemen" party to make one of our friends feel better about not being able to return to Yemen for his studies because of the recent attacks. Don't worry, Oman is fine.


--Lydia, Sara, and I at our first Omani Iftar!


Thursday morning, I awoke bright and early to meet at the school to go on a kayaking trip with Tommy, Lydia, and Sara! We only had one two-person kayak so after we loaded it up on Tommy's car (Taj needs the cross beams before I put anything on top) we drove about 1 hour to Al Sawadi beach. We unpacked what we needed and set off for an island about 1000 meters away. Lydia and Tommy led us in the kayak while Sara and I swam. It was my first "snorkling" experience, but I didn't have a snorkel and I just used my regular goggles. But, it was great. I saw tons of fish, coral, and the ocean bottom which was only about 10 feet down.

--Our fearless leaders Tommy and Lydia on the island!
We walked around and hung out on the island for a bit. There was a European group of older people who were upset that we were on the same island and the women had to put their tops on, but we didn't feel bad considering it is Ramadan and that is just very disrespectful and culturally irresponsible (They must've been French!) Haha, jaykay. After searching all the nooks and crannies of of the island, we packed up and headed back to the mainland. The ocean was nicer to us on the way back and kept giving us some nice pushes. On the mainland we put the kayak up and Tommy showed us a great spot to get seashells. The best shells were on a beach about a mile away from where we were so Taj and I had our first 4WD experience! Driving on the beach was basically like driving in really deep snow, so nothing I couldn't handle!
-- A nice picture of some of the cliffs on the island and Taj and I on the beach! We were actually going about 15 mph, but you can't tell.
Thursday night we had a nice dinner at Sarah and Miguel's place and Sara and I watched the Red Violin and kicked back a few Bacardi and cokes (it was strange not being on the deck in GR with mom while drinking these). Friday I did some shopping and went for a swim in the pool at school with Jeff and Miguel.

1 comment:

Alex and Christy said...

Hey Zachi! Who is that hot girl you're with at the top of the page. Are you going to Marry her?