Monday, August 18, 2008

Work at last!

Yes, I am finally going to write about work since I have actually been doing a lot lately. However, I have still tried to make time for dinners and some shopping to continue making my house a home.

So, Saturday was our first day of work, we had meetings all day and some time to work in our rooms and with our departments. I am still trying to sift through all the info for moving in as well
what was left for me to teach with. After school

Jeff, Lydia, and I raced to Lulu's to get some groceries. We did it so fast, we felt like we were actually getting to know the place. Lulu's by the way is a large supermarket. If it is ever introduced to the states I know it would overtake Wal-mart with its magical magnetic "people movers" to hold the shopping carts from floor to floor and for the always exciting "vegetable run". Basically once you find the vegetables you want, you have to elbow your way to get them; then figure out which line is the least chaotic or the smallest to have the weighing women price your bag. If it sounds complicated, don't worry it gets easier, but it doesn't lose its novelty; at least, not yet. I am not sure what they do if you arrive at the cashier without the price tag, but my guess is JAIL TIME! And why not? When you can get a ticket for having a dirty car or go to jail for flipping someone off!


Saturday night I had Jeff, Lydia, and Sara over for tortilla Espanola! Yes, we even listened to the "dinner music" playlist. Everytime I turned around I expected to see Bernie IV or the Lauras, but alas, they were not to be found. We had a beautiful dinner out on my patio, and if I can figure out how to put photos on here, I will show you what that looks like.



Sunday was filled with more meetings and more time in the classroom and preparing. In the meetings we learned how to put out different fires, and of course, since we learn by doing, they started a fire out back which we put out! A little different than the states! We also learned what would happen in case of evacuation. You will all be happy to hear that the school actually gets us out faster than the Embassy. Actually, maybe you won't be happy to hear that. But, go TAISM! Another exciting tidbit is our insurance is amazing! I can be anywhere in the world and as long as I can call help and tell them where I am, my insurance will pay for a helicopter, plane, or whatever to come get me! And to take care of me! Watch out Iraq, here I come! Haha, just kidding.


Last night a veteran teacher had us over for tacos, then took us to a plant souk (market). Everyone here seems to love to show us around and make sure we are comfortable. So, that's nice.


Today, a lot more work. Not as many meetings, but still trying to set up my room. Classes start this Saturday! I better work faster!


Aight y'all. Hope everyone is well!



2 comments:

Kate, Ben and Archie said...

Zach! You have a blog! That is so great,do mom and dad know? I am already slightly envious of where you are and what you are doing... Ben and I are getting the travel bug again, but Archie will put a crimp in that plan for a while, but not too long. I promised him the next place we would go abraod would be Portugal, but I am sure we can find a connecting flight to Oman from there, right? Well I love your writings so keep them up, we miss you. PS can you e-mail me when you think you will be back, I mean in December... we may not be able to go on the cruise, they are changing their policy on what age an infant can be to cruise. So we want to work out the best time to see everyone. Okay, love you!

Karan said...

hey Mr.Manker i was wondering if u remember me Karan from ur studyhall class in colorado at the pinnacle last year?