Friday, August 15, 2008

I do actually work sometimes, it's just not fun to write about

8-15-2008 4:27 pm

Today is Friday, but for work purposes it is our Sunday. The weekend here is actually Thursday and Friday. We have all already decided that we would do our best with switching the days in our heads, but it is actually pretty difficult, maybe when school starts, it will be easier. I just don't know if I can bring my self to say, "Looks like somebody has a case of the Saturdays".

On our first full weekend here, we did a lot! Wednesday, Sara, Jeff and I ditched the last hour of our prep work (with my principal's encouragement) and went to the beach by my house! There weren't a lot of people, but a lot of seashells and coral was on the beach. We even saw a puffer fish! Very scary! Wednesday night we had a new staff dinner at one of the best Indian restaurants in town! Afterward, My co-workers Sara, Miguel, Sarah, Jeff, Lydia and I went to Jeff's to continue the party. Since they are so strict on drinking and driving here, and I didn't want to go to an Omani jail and be deported within the first two weeks, I just slept at Jeff's.

Thursday we all went to a private beach so the ladies didn't feel uncomfortable with curious stares while they only had on swimming suits. The water was so refreshing and was only about 5.5 feet deep for 100 meters or so. Sara and I swam to a little beach in a cove and trekked back on a ledge overlooking the bay. Just as I mentioned how fun it would be to jump off the cliff, a stingray came flying out from under the ledge! We also saw a lot of spotted and stripped fish as well as crabs. After lunch and hiking up the side of the beach to an impressive view of another bay with islands, we left to go to the souq (market) in old Muscat near the port. I started off buying things without properly bargaining, but as time went on, I learned and we got some pretty cool Omani stuff.

After the Souq, we had a vegetarian dinner at Lydia's house and then I returned home, exhausted.

Today Sara and I went shopping (hopefully I got everything to make my apartment a home by now!) then had lunch with Jeff and now it is time for another pool party!

1 comment:

The Mankers said...

I won't believe you work until I read about it. Continue trying to make us believe with your stories about swimming to islands and attending pool parties though--it's fun for me.

Oh, we lost our soccer game last night (we had no subs--ie we miss you). I hope you don't have a case of the Saturdays!